This type of non-glutinous long grain rice is similar to brown rice in that it is unpolished rice, only the colour of the bran is red, purple or maroon. Mix red rice with brown jasmine rice in a ratio of one part red rice to three parts brown rice. This ricecan also be cooked either as a porridge or combined with white jasmine rice.
The flavour of cooked red cargo rice is generally more sweet nutty, and the rice is more chewy than standard white polished rice. Red rice takes longer to cook than white rice, but not as long as brown rice. For easier cooking and a softer texture, it is best to soak the rice in water for at least 30 mins first before cooking.if you have a rice cooker set it with a brown rice or whole grain setting or a porridge setting.
Only the husks of the rice grains are removed during the milling process, retaining all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals intact in the bran layer and in the germ. Red rice is is a good source of Thiamin (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), fibre, iron and calcium. Rice is the perfect food for those with a gluten intolerance as no rice contains gluten. Rice is completely non-allergenic, so it is the grain for people with digestive problems.
The term "cargo" originates from the idea that this type of rice is exported/transported by ship/sea in bulk to the importers/distributors who then package the rice in small 1 kg bags for the market, unlike white rice which is usually pre-packed by exporters into 5, 10 or 25 kg bags.- Cook Indian, Arabic, Turkish or Zereshk Persian rice dishes, including pilafs, Polows, Pilavs, Biryani (an elaborate oven-cooked dish that combines rice with vegetables, meat or seafood) with our Basmati Rice. Its dry texture is ideal for absorbing flavors.
- Our Sushi Rice has an appetizing aroma, sweet flavor and sticky texture. Sushi rice is chewy, springy to make into shapes. It is also glossy and contrasts well with nori, veggies and herbs, fish and meats. Also excellent in silky rice puddings, rice salads, teriyaki, rice bowls and other Asian recipes.
- Thai Jasmine rice is snowy white, soft, tender grains that are a wonderful all around dish that absorbs flavors but also is wonderful by itself. Serve with curries and as a side. Add coconut and make an elegant flavored rich rice. Our store provides rice and rice dishes from around the world. Cook Indian, Chinese, Thai, Turkish, Arabic, and Persian Rice with rice from our store.
• Long-grain rice produces light, fluffy rice and is many times more aromatic. Examples include basmati rice, jasmine rice.
• Short-grain rice, typically found in East Asian cooking, results in rice that is sticky.
• Medium-grain rice is shorter than long-grain and less sticky than short-grain. This is usually used for making paella, Egyptian rice.
• Black & Red rice is used for desserts and is perfect with coconut and sweet fruits like banana and pineapple.
Perfectly Cooked Rice
Use a 2-to-1 water-to-rice ratio, although brown rice tends to require a little bit more water than white. Also, using less water and a dollop of ghee or butter will produce rice that's more firm and less sticky.