Other names are Sweet Rice, Waxy Rice, Botan Rice, Biroin Chal, Mochi Rice, and Pearl Rice. Sticky rice is also sometimes called glutinous rice, in a reference to the gluey texture the grains acquire while being cooked, rather than actual gluten; like other types of rice, glutinous rice is safe to eat for people who are gluten intolerant. The rice may be sold milled, in which case the outer husk is removed, or unmilled, in a pale brown variety. Brown sticky rice tends to be less sticky, although it is still gluier than other rice cultivars. It is also possible to find purple sticky rice, a Thai delicacy with a rich, nutty flavor.
This rice is cooked much like other varieties of rice, with around two cups of water to every cup of rice. Some cooks add coconut milk as the rice cooks, to intensify the flavor and make the dish into more of a treat, and when used for desserts, a small amount of sugar may be added as well. As the rice cooks, it releases the sticky compounds inside, turning into a sticky mass inside the cooking pot. The rice can be hand-formed into a variety of shapes, rolled in sushi, or served with savory or sweet dishes, where it will readily absorb juices. Some Thais like to eat sticky rice as a snack, dipping it into spicy sauces after molding it into balls.- Cook Indian, Arabic, Turkish or Zereshk Persian rice dishes, including pilafs, Polows, Pilavs, Biryani (an elaborate oven-cooked dish that combines rice with vegetables, meat or seafood) with our Basmati Rice. Its dry texture is ideal for absorbing flavors.
- Our Sushi Rice has an appetizing aroma, sweet flavor and sticky texture. Sushi rice is chewy, springy to make into shapes. It is also glossy and contrasts well with nori, veggies and herbs, fish and meats. Also excellent in silky rice puddings, rice salads, teriyaki, rice bowls and other Asian recipes.
- Thai Jasmine rice is snowy white, soft, tender grains that are a wonderful all around dish that absorbs flavors but also is wonderful by itself. Serve with curries and as a side. Add coconut and make an elegant flavored rich rice. Our store provides rice and rice dishes from around the world. Cook Indian, Chinese, Thai, Turkish, Arabic, and Persian Rice with rice from our store.
• Long-grain rice produces light, fluffy rice and is many times more aromatic. Examples include basmati rice, jasmine rice.
• Short-grain rice, typically found in East Asian cooking, results in rice that is sticky.
• Medium-grain rice is shorter than long-grain and less sticky than short-grain. This is usually used for making paella, Egyptian rice.
• Black & Red rice is used for desserts and is perfect with coconut and sweet fruits like banana and pineapple.
Perfectly Cooked Rice
Use a 2-to-1 water-to-rice ratio, although brown rice tends to require a little bit more water than white. Also, using less water and a dollop of ghee or butter will produce rice that's more firm and less sticky.