Also called Sweet Rice, Waxy Rice, Botan Rice, Biroin Chal, Mochi Rice, and Pearl Rice. This is an amazing rice. Sticky rice is a staple in Northern Thailand and Northeastern Thailand where people eat it instead of long grain rice. Sticky rice is eaten with your hands.
Sticky rice is traditionally soaked overnight and steamed, not boiled. When long grain rice is cooked, it turns from opaque to white; when sticky rice is cooked, it turns from white to translucent. May be steamed in a bamboo steamer with a cheese cloth to prevent the rice from falling in the water. The best way to steam it is in a Thai rice steamer.
Excellent to serve with any coconut curry like Thai red and green curries, Asian-style omelets with a side of naam prik phao, hot and sour soup, satay, laab, som tom, Thai BBQ chicken, Isaan-style sausages
- Cook Indian, Arabic, Turkish or Zereshk Persian rice dishes, including pilafs, Polows, Pilavs, Biryani (an elaborate oven-cooked dish that combines rice with vegetables, meat or seafood) with our Basmati Rice. Its dry texture is ideal for absorbing flavors.
- Our Sushi Rice has an appetizing aroma, sweet flavor and sticky texture. Sushi rice is chewy, springy to make into shapes. It is also glossy and contrasts well with nori, veggies and herbs, fish and meats. Also excellent in silky rice puddings, rice salads, teriyaki, rice bowls and other Asian recipes.
- Thai Jasmine rice is snowy white, soft, tender grains that are a wonderful all around dish that absorbs flavors but also is wonderful by itself. Serve with curries and as a side. Add coconut and make an elegant flavored rich rice. Our store provides rice and rice dishes from around the world. Cook Indian, Chinese, Thai, Turkish, Arabic, and Persian Rice with rice from our store.
• Long-grain rice produces light, fluffy rice and is many times more aromatic. Examples include basmati rice, jasmine rice.
• Short-grain rice, typically found in East Asian cooking, results in rice that is sticky.
• Medium-grain rice is shorter than long-grain and less sticky than short-grain. This is usually used for making paella, Egyptian rice.
• Black & Red rice is used for desserts and is perfect with coconut and sweet fruits like banana and pineapple.
Perfectly Cooked Rice
Use a 2-to-1 water-to-rice ratio, although brown rice tends to require a little bit more water than white. Also, using less water and a dollop of ghee or butter will produce rice that's more firm and less sticky.