Sichuan Veggie Beef
Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus marinating
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for 2 servings:
2 sirloin steaks, cut into strips
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 medium red chilli, deseeded and chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 small handful broccoli
1 small handful chopped mangetout
1 small handful chopped carrots
1 small handful chopped baby corn
300ml hot fresh beef or vegetable stock
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornflour blended with 2 tablespoons cold water
1 spring onion, finely sliced
salt and ground white pepper
for the marinade:
1 tablespoon Shaosing rice wine or dry sherry
2 teaspoons ground Sichuan pepper
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
2 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and marinate the beef for as long as possible, overnight is best.
2. Heat a wok over high heat and add the oil. Stir-fry the marinated beef for 2 minutes.
3. Add the red chilli and onion and stir fry for less than 1 minute then add the rest of the vegetables and stir fry for 1 minute.
4. Add the stock (it needs to be hot) and mix well. Season with light soy sauce. Bring to the boil, add the blended cornflour and stir well.
5. Add the spring onion, season to taste and serve with Jasmine rice.