The process of parboiling is from south India where steam was passed through the grains
with the husks on. Steaming drives some of the nutrients from the bran into the grain
making it more nutritious than white. The nutrients are then embedded into the grain by
this procedure. The rice is polished after this teaming is done.
This results in more nutritious rice than white rice and more digestible rice than
brown rice. For this reason other Asian countries that depended on rice as their staple
sometimes had survey, but the Indians avoided it due to the process of parboiling. Also,
This procedure gelatinizes the starch in the grain, and ensures a firmer, more separate
grain. Consumers and chefs who desire extra fluffy and separate cooked rice favor
parboiled rice. It however takes longer to cook than ordinary white rice.
This process, first developed in South India has been patented by Uncle Ben's Inc. and
is called Converted(r) brand rice. Many Asian countries developed scurvy due to polished
while rice. Ancient South India was able to avert such a disease due to passing hot steam
over the grain with the husks on driving the nutrients into the grain and then polishing
the rice. It is said that 80% of these nutrients in the bran are conserved which would
otherwise be lost during conventional milling.- Cook Indian, Arabic, Turkish or Zereshk Persian rice dishes, including pilafs, Polows, Pilavs, Biryani (an elaborate oven-cooked dish that combines rice with vegetables, meat or seafood) with our Basmati Rice. Its dry texture is ideal for absorbing flavors.
- Our Sushi Rice has an appetizing aroma, sweet flavor and sticky texture. Sushi rice is chewy, springy to make into shapes. It is also glossy and contrasts well with nori, veggies and herbs, fish and meats. Also excellent in silky rice puddings, rice salads, teriyaki, rice bowls and other Asian recipes.
- Thai Jasmine rice is snowy white, soft, tender grains that are a wonderful all around dish that absorbs flavors but also is wonderful by itself. Serve with curries and as a side. Add coconut and make an elegant flavored rich rice. Our store provides rice and rice dishes from around the world. Cook Indian, Chinese, Thai, Turkish, Arabic, and Persian Rice with rice from our store.
• Long-grain rice produces light, fluffy rice and is many times more aromatic. Examples include basmati rice, jasmine rice.
• Short-grain rice, typically found in East Asian cooking, results in rice that is sticky.
• Medium-grain rice is shorter than long-grain and less sticky than short-grain. This is usually used for making paella, Egyptian rice.
• Black & Red rice is used for desserts and is perfect with coconut and sweet fruits like banana and pineapple.
Perfectly Cooked Rice
Use a 2-to-1 water-to-rice ratio, although brown rice tends to require a little bit more water than white. Also, using less water and a dollop of ghee or butter will produce rice that's more firm and less sticky.