Garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas, Bengal grams, and Egyptian peas) have a delicious sweet, nutty taste and buttery texture and are robust and versatile. Garbanzos make "comfort and satisfying dishes. Garbanzo beans are also called Chickpeas.
Easy to cook, they pair well with root vegetables and are quite popular in Moroccan and Indian cuisine.
- Add to soup, make stews and curries.
- Create fresh hummus, or serve as a side dish.
- Season with Ajika Punjabi Chhole spice blend and make the famous Indian Channa masala or Chole dish
- Season with Ajika Morrocan Blend for an amazing tajine stew dish.
- Add garbanzo beans to your green salads for use as a snack with line juice and Ajika Chaat Masala.
- Make a Mediterranean pasta dish by adding garbanzo beans to penne mixed with olive oil, feta cheese and fresh oregano.
- Simmer cooked garbanzo beans in a sauce of tomato and onion broth, Ajika curry spices, and squash and serve this with brown rice.
- Adding garbanzo beans to your vegetable soup will enhance its taste, texture and nutritional content.
Soaking Garbanzo beans overnight brings them back to life, activating enzymes, proteins, minerals and vitamins.The USDA Nutritional database shows that one cup of cooked lentils contains:
Garbanzo Beans can be sprouted or cooked, ground into flour. They are excellent in chilies, soups and salads. garbanzo Beans are high in iron and packed with protein. They are also a rich source of thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, potassium, phosphorus and an excellent source of fiber and complex carbohydrates. They are low in sodium and saturated fats.
Excellent on salads, in soups, made into dips & spreads, or used in casseroles.
•17 grams of protein
•Less than 1 gram of fat
•15 grams of fiber
•Iron, phosphorus, folate and plenty of other good stuff
Lentils and split peas are low in fat and high in protein and fiber, and they have the added advantage of cooking quickly without the need for soaking. So, while you can buy canned lentils, they are so easy to cook from dried that I really encourage you to give our lentils a try. This is how easy they are to make - Boil 1 cup washed and drained lentils with 4 cups of water a inch piece of ginger and salt. Simmer until tender on reduced heat for about 25 minutes. You can cook them in 10 minutes in a pressure cooker. Fry seasonings with onions and tomatoes and add to the lentils.
You can make lentils into soup, savory porridges or into stews and even spreads.