Basmati is a variety of long grain rice, famous for its fragrance and delicate flavour. Its name means "the fragrant one" in Sanskrit, but it can also mean the "soft rice." It is primarily grown through paddy field farming in the Punjab region.
The grains of basmati rice are longer than non-basmati varieties. Cooked grains of Basmati rice are characteristically free flowing rather than sticky. Cooked basmati rice can be uniquely identified by its fragrance. Basmati rice is available in two varieties - white rice and brown rice.
Basmati rice is known as the queen of rice. It is aromatic long grain slender rice, non glutinous and particularly good for formal rice cooking. Basmati Rice is a simple grain yet throughout history it has been on royal menus of various cultures as the main dish. From the pilav of Turkey, polou of Persia, pilafs of the Steppes, the isotos and paellas of the Mediterranean, to the pilau of India it has been served to great sultans, maharajahs, shah’s and emperors. Spices, nuts, dried fruits, vegetables and herbs are a natural for Basmati rice. Basmati rice transforms rice dishes into extraordinary meals.
Basmati Rice is a non-glutinous rice that has been cultivated at the foot of the Himalayan mountain ranges for centuries. The rivers Yamuna and Ganga feed the fields. The rice is long-grain and scented and when literally translated from Hindi it means ‘queen of scents’ or ‘pearl of scents’. It is the world’s best rice one can use for cooking although, for variety one uses jasmine and parboiled rice. For centuries it has been exported to the Arab countries and many of their traditional rice dishes are cooked with long grained Basmati rice. - Cook Indian, Arabic, Turkish or Zereshk Persian rice dishes, including pilafs, Polows, Pilavs, Biryani (an elaborate oven-cooked dish that combines rice with vegetables, meat or seafood) with our Basmati Rice. Its dry texture is ideal for absorbing flavors.
- Our Sushi Rice has an appetizing aroma, sweet flavor and sticky texture. Sushi rice is chewy, springy to make into shapes. It is also glossy and contrasts well with nori, veggies and herbs, fish and meats. Also excellent in silky rice puddings, rice salads, teriyaki, rice bowls and other Asian recipes.
- Thai Jasmine rice is snowy white, soft, tender grains that are a wonderful all around dish that absorbs flavors but also is wonderful by itself. Serve with curries and as a side. Add coconut and make an elegant flavored rich rice. Our store provides rice and rice dishes from around the world. Cook Indian, Chinese, Thai, Turkish, Arabic, and Persian Rice with rice from our store.
• Long-grain rice produces light, fluffy rice and is many times more aromatic. Examples include basmati rice, jasmine rice.
• Short-grain rice, typically found in East Asian cooking, results in rice that is sticky.
• Medium-grain rice is shorter than long-grain and less sticky than short-grain. This is usually used for making paella, Egyptian rice.
• Black & Red rice is used for desserts and is perfect with coconut and sweet fruits like banana and pineapple.
Perfectly Cooked Rice
Use a 2-to-1 water-to-rice ratio, although brown rice tends to require a little bit more water than white. Also, using less water and a dollop of ghee or butter will produce rice that's more firm and less sticky.