Persian Halva Recipe
250 g (8oz ) sugar
125ml (4fl oz) water
60ml (2fl oz) rose water
4 tsp.s liquid saffron
250g (8oz ) unsalted butter
250g (8oz) plain flour
1. Boil the sugar and water together until the sugar is dissolved, then add the rosewater and saffron. Remove from heat but keep warm.
2. Melt butter in a pan and gradually stir in the flour to a smooth paste. Cook over a low heat until golden in colour.
3. Over a very low heat, slowly add the syrup to blend into a smooth paste. Remove from heat immediately.
4. While still warm, spread on to a plate and press down with the back of a dessertspoon, making a pattern with the spoon.
5. Serve cold, cut into small wedges, accompanied by toast and tea.
Persian Halvah Cream Recipe - Kachee Recipe
500 g (1 Ib) sugar
500 g (1 Ib) unsalted butter
500 ml (1 pint) water
250 g (8 oz) plain flour
60 ml (2 fl oz) rosewater
1 tbsp. liquid saffron
Bring water and sugar to the boil, and remove from heat when the sugar has dissolved. In a saucepan melt the butter and then stir in the flour to a smooth paste over a low heat. While stirring, slowly add the rosewater, syrup and liquid saffron. Continue stirring until the mixture is a thin smooth cream. If the mixture gets too thick, add a little warm water to it. Serve warm.
Persian Saffron Rice Pudding Recipe - Shollehzard Recipe
120g (4oz) pudding rice
180g (6oz ) sugar
1 tsp. liquid saffron
30g (loz) solid vegetable oil
2 tbsp. rose water
about 13/4 litres (4 pints) water
almond and pistachio slivers (optional)
1. Pick over, wash and put the rice to boil in the water in a large saucepan over medium heat until very soft, adding more water as required and stirring from time to time. (Be careful it doesn't boil over.)
2. Stir in the sugar, rose water and saffron and simmer till sugar is dissolved.
3. Reduce heat, melt the fat and stir in. Cover and simmer for three minutes.
4. Dish up into a serving bowl. when set, decorate with powdered cinnamon and, if desired, almond and pistachio slivers
Persian Rice Pudding with Milk Recipe - Sheer Berenj Recipe
250 g (8 oz) pudding rice
500 g (1 Ib) sugar
1 litre (2 pints) milk
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
2 tbsp rosewater
pistachio and almond slivers
Wash the rice and soak in water covering 2 1/2 cm (1 in) above rice level for half an hour. Bring to the boil and cook until soft, then add sugar, milk, cardamom and rosewater. Continue cooking until the liquid has been absorbed. Stirring is required from time to time and being careful it doesn't stick, especially towards the end. When it becomes thick and creamy, pour into a bowl and leave it to cool. Serve well chilled and garnished with pistachio and almond slivers
Persian Nut Fudge Recipe - Ranginak Recipe
- 500 g (1 Ib) dates
- 250 g (8 oz) margarine
- 85 g (3 oz) walnut halves
- 250 g (8 oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp. ground pistachios and almonds
Stone the dates. Insert a quarter of walnut in each date and it close up. Arrange the dates standing up in a shallow serving dish. Melt the margarine and stir in the flour. Gently cook until golden, pour the mixture over the dates slowly while filling all the crevices. Leave to set, garnish with pistachios and almond silvers.