7 oz. or 1/2 pkg Ajika Whole Mung Dal , washed and soaked for 1 or 2 hours. Drain the water before cooking.
5 cups water
Salt to taste (approx. 1 tsp.)
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. ginger paste
Spice Seasoning for the Dal
3 tbs. ghee
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. asafetida
1 whole red chillies broken up
1/2 tsp. chilli powder
1. Place the dal, water, salt, ginger paste and turmeric in aheavy pot with a tight lid and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium low and simmer till lentils are soft.
Seasoning the lentils:
1. Heat ghee or oil in a small pan.
2. Add cumin and asafoetida powder and let the seeds start to sizzle.
3. Add whole chillies and chillies powder, stir with a small spoon,
3. Pour this over the cooked dal.
1. Add some fried garlic to this dal.