2 large eggplants
4 tablespoons oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 very ripe fresh in season tomato, chopped
1 tbsp. coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder, optional
Salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
pinch of dried mint
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cianrto
3 tender green onions, finely chopped
1. Roast eggplants over gas flame, or hot coals, or under griller, until the skin is thoroughly blackened all over and the eggplant itself is soft to the touch. When cool enough to handle, remove all skin under running cold water. Mash or chop roughly.
2. In a heavy saucepan heat oil and fry the onion until lightly browned. Add tomato and cook till tomato is well done. Add ground spices and stir for a few seconds, then egggplants and salt.
3. Cover and cook on low heat until liquid evaporates and it becomes a puree thick enough to scoop up with pieces of chapati.
4. Add garam masala and mint and simmer, uncovered, for a few minutes longer.
5. Garnish with fresh coriander, spring onions
Serve hot or cold as an accompaniment to chapatis, flat bread or rice or as a dip.