14 oz. or 1 pkg Ajika black gram (kala chana) washed and soaked overnight
3 cup yogurt
8 tbsp. besan or gram flour
salt to taste
4 tbsp. coriander powder
4 tbsp. mango powder or amchur
2 tbsp. red chilli powder
2 tbsp. turmeric powder
2 tbsp. garam masala powder
8 finely chopped chillies
4 black cardamom
2 cinnamon stick
1/2 tbsp. asafetida powder
2 tbsp. cumin seeds
6 tbsp. oil
6 tbsp. ghee or oil
Lots of fresh cilantro/coriander leaves
2 sliced Onion’s for garnishing
1. Cook or boil channa till soft. It may take about 5 cups of water or more. It will take about 20-25 minutes.
2. Heat oil and ghee. Add cumin seeds when brown; add cinnamon stick, clove, and black cardamom. Fry for 1-2 minutes. Add asafetida powder and green chilies. Fry for 1 minute.
3. Mix yogurt, 2 cup water, gram flour and all the dry spices
4. Add black gram along with the water in which it was boiled. Mix well.
5. Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes