The most celebrated dish of Kashmir. Mutton chunks become tender and glisten as they are simmered in a curried liquid rich in yogurt, almonds, chili, and toasted spices.
2 lbs. mutton (goat), or lamb (with some bones)
8 cloves garlic chopped or crushed
1 teaspoons red chilli powder
1/2 cup thick whole milk yogurt
1 oz. ground almonds
2 onions chopped fine
1/4 cup ghee
4 tbsp. - 6 tbsp Roganjosh Spices
salt to taste
1. Boil the mutton with the garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt in 6 cups water for 30 minutes. Remove and strain. Keep stock aside.
2. Make a paste of the red chilli powder by adding a little bit of water.
3 Whisk the yogurt, along with almond paste and set aside.
4. Heat ghee/oil. Add onions and fry till golden brown. Add Roganjosh spices and fry. Add chilli paste and a little warm water and stir.
6. Add the meat, saute till nicely coated by masala or spiced onion mix. If the masala or onion/spice mix sticks to bottom of pan keep adding a little water.
7. Add whisked yogurt and stir well.
8. Add 3-4 cups of the stock kept aside and lower heat. Cover and cook till meat is tender on this lower heat or otherwise the yogurt will curdle.